10.26.2014

Movie Reviews

On January 2012, I decide to keep a list of Movies that I have watch and wrote a couple sentences to how I enjoyed or disliked. I keep this on another blog which is more of a journal type of experience. This is the list so far..Thought I'd share...


Movie Clapper Since we have a page for books...Why not movies?! These will not multiply as quickly as the books.
Rah is not one to sit through a movie as much as she is to read a book ;-D
 OK.
The first movie to be critiqued...I debated the thought of adding the cast; however, have decided to place director names in critique instead...
Movies based on a Hat ratio; 5 Hats being the best.

~~~***~~~
OCTOBER 2014

The Ouija Experiment 2014
Directed by Israel Luna
 This was a free Hulu Movie to get me in the mood for Halloween. I actually fell asleep and had to finish in the morning. Not bad for the style. Finished out of respect. 2.0 Hats

John Wick

Directed by David Leitch and Bridget Moyanhan   You know I'd be watching this on the BIG SCREEN. Anything Keanu is seen at the Theater first if it can be helped. This one is pretty violent. It had great humor as well. Loved that part of the film. Took the hubby. We both enjoyed. 3.5 Hats

The Iceman

Directed by Ariel Vromen   This is based on a true story of one of the mobs biggest killers, Richard Kuklinski. I lived such a sheltered life for I knew nothing of this man and the history behind him. The director did well in keeping the clothing, cars, and media true to the decades. Enjoyed. 3.0 Hats

~~~***~~~
SEPTEMBER 2014

Dead Like Me
Directed by Stephen Herek   I used to watch this series when I had cable. Lived it. The movie proved to have that same humor and wit. Am very happy I watched it. In fact, twice...4.0 Hats

World War Z

Directed by Marc Forster   This is one I did not think I would enjoy...DID. Happy I watched. It was a typical Zombie movie with a twist. Lots of symbolism in this one...3.0 Hats

~~~***~~~
AUGUST 2014

Company Men
Directed by John Wells   Big fan of Tommy Lee Jones. He plays a great role in this one. Very heavy movie that pulls at your heart...3.0 Hats

Redemption

Directed by Steven Knight   A basic good/evil movie that ends sort of happy. Lots of action with great fight scenes...2.5 Hats

Primal Fear

Directed by Gregory Hoblit   This was our second time to watch this. It is a movie which shows the true talents of Edward Norton. Great actor. Perfect for the part. This one is worth a look...3.0 Hats

The Factory

Directed by Morgan O'Neill   A typical who done it movie. It was well done and worth the watch. There were several editing goofs that drove me crazy...2.5 Hats

They

Directed by Robert Harmon   Interesting movie. A psychological thriller with a twist of horror. Enjoyed this one. May be because I was tired...and it was dark out...3.5 Hats

Woman in Black

Directed by James Watkins   This was my second time to watch this movie. My sister and I ventured to the theater to see this one back in February 2012. Enjoyed the movie the second time . There were many parts in the movie I could have bashed from poor edits. This is something I try to remain clam about...Just one of my things. The movie made me jump in several places and giggle in others. Was interesting to see Daniel Radcliffe play in a different role...3.5 Hats

Flight

Directed by Robert Zemechis   Watched this while visiting friends in Idaho. Very "heavy" movie. It was really not something I would have chosen to watch. Still good acting and a good tale. 3.0 Hats

Oscar

Directed by John Landis   A great movie from beginning to end. Top actors. One of Stallone's best movies. This is me saying that for I am not a huge fan. Watched this while in Idaho with friends. In fact, probably my fifth time to watch it. 5.0 Hats

Odd Thomas

Directed by Stephen Summers
 I'm a little weird in my tastes of books and movies. Always seem to lean toward the dark side. This movie stems from a book (never read...will now) and seemed to flow quite nicely. I enjoyed this one. 3.0 Hats

~~~***~~~
JULY 2014

Strange Voices
Directed by Arthur Allan Seidelman
 A tale of schizophrenia as seen through the eyes of a family stuck in the middle.  A typical 80's movie. If you have never seen what can happen with this disease, it's a good movie to start with. 2.5 Hats

Little Children

Directed by Tom Field
 I didn't think I"d like this one. It surprised me. The fact that it was narrated in parts from a readers standpoint was pretty cool. Of course Kate Winslet had to get naked. I think she undresses in every movie she is in...Anyway. Great story. 4.0 Hats.

Dead Man
Directed by Jim Jarmusch
 Wow. This one was chopped full of great actors. I think this may be a cult classic for it was one trippy movie. Really liked this one. 4.0 Hats

Grand Piano

Directed by Eugenio Mira
 Very slow to begin. Found it painful in fact. Had great music with a different type of ending. The hubby enjoyed this one far more than I. 2.0 Hats

In the Electric Mist

Directed by Bertrand Tavernier
 Love love love Tommy Lee Jones in this one. It seems a natural role for him. A tale of New Orleans detective and the local mobster 3.5 Hats

~~~***~~~
JUNE 2014

Jesse Stone: Night Passage
Directed by Robert Harmon
 A typical Tom Selleck movie. This one is a murder investigation that comes full circle. Anything with Selleck is worth watching at least once...2.5 Hats.

The Unknown

Directed by Simon Brand
 A crazy tale of  a group of men waking up with amnesia. This is a psychological thriller that leaves you wondering to the last minute. I give it 4.0 Hats.

The Heat

Directed by Paul Feig
 This was a bit of a slow start for myself. Seemed slap stick comedy. I love the two leading ladies and was excited to see this. Was good...Just not as good as I had let myself hope for...3.0 Hats.

The Family Stone

Directed by Thomas Bezucha
 This one was provided through a co-worker as one of her favorite Christmas Movies. The only thing Christmas about it is the season. It was a real tear-jerker and a comedy all at once. I really enjoyed the movie. It is about life and love. This seemed to be a theme she gave me to watch...Wonder if she was telling me something...4.5 Hats.

We Bought a Zoo

Directed by Cameron Crowe
 I really didn't think I'd care for this one. Turned out, I truly enjoyed. What ta feel good movie. I was surprised at the end to see it was based on a true story. Interesting. A real great movie to show about life and love. 4.0 Hats.

Bridesmaid

Directed by Paul Feig
 I laughed at this one. There were a few places of total darkness which could have been better "but" in the end...It made me laugh out loud! I'll give it 3.5 Hats.

Nick of Time

Directed by John Badham
 This was a Johnny Depp early movie. Not good folks. So many places were like...Why are they doing that?! Love Johnny...and many of the other starring roles. but..not good folks...1.5 Hats.

Jesse Stone: Might Passage

Directed by Robert Harmon
 A typical Tom Selleck show. I guess this was a series at one time. I watched to appease my husband. It was OK. Worth it...Just not something I would have chosen. 3.5 Hats.

The Family

Directed by Luc Besson
 Before I even knew Martin Charles Scorsese was producer, I understood this would be one weird ass movie. It was not a disappointment. Awesome show. I suggest you sit with wine and cheese with this one! 5 Hats.

Changing Lanes

Directed by Roger Michell
 Enjoyed this one with the hubby.  It was a round about way of explaining how worlds can collide and how one person can change everything. I am not a big Affleck fan so would have passed this up if not for hubby's interest...2.5 Hats Thank you for the positive thoughts on the root canal. Am calling tomorrow as it has sensitivity still...after three weeks...Not good.  Anyhow. Thank you for you concerns...

The Scapegoat
Directed by Charles Sturridge
 Very cool. I actually enjoyed this movie for BBC. I watched with the hubby. We were both impressed. 3.5 Hats.

Exit Through the Gift Shop
Directed by Bansky
 I love the art sown in this video. Awesome. The street art created by those who are true to the art is amazing. Very interesting documentary.  3.0 Hats.

Frozen Ground
Directed by Scott Walker
 I really enjoyed this one. It was based upon a true story and the case surrounding all that happened during this time frame.  Though Hollywood often glamorize things...as with this movie...It was still good.  3.0 Hats

~~~***~~~
MAY 2014

Just a heads up for those of you reading this blog. I had a root canal this month and a momentary lapse of depression...thus all the movies. May not happen again for some time. Who knows...Gonna look back and see if  this is a frequent thing for certain months.

Knife's Edge
Directed by Anthony Hickox   Fell asleep the first time around with this one too. It was as if two persons were directing the movie. Some of the shots where awesome, while others needed something more. The acting was not top quality, this made for very jerky moments. The end was a twister though... 2.5 Hats

An American Ghost Story
Directed by Derek Cole   I have to be honest. Started this show twice and fell asleep both times. I think if the acting may have been better I may have stayed focus. Hard to say... ;-D 1.5 Hats

Faces in the Crowd
Directed by Julien Magnet   Pretty good show. I was intrigued for moment one. The who done it. I was not paying a lot of attention prior to the show and found myself leaning toward a certain person as the bad guy. I thought I knew who done it...and of course...I was right ;-D 3.0 Hats

The Haunting
Directed by Jan de Bont   This movie is why I am doing this memoir. I had seen it before...Just didn't remember. There is a reason for this. It was a "good" movie...not the best.... 2.0 Hats

The Collection
Directed by Marcus Dunstan   A bloody battle from beginning to end. A real horror flick. 2.5 Hats

The Awakening
Directed by Nick Murphy   This was a true psychological thriller. I was uncertain about the whole movie up to the end. It had great scenes and upon hind sight...great foreshadowing. I give 3.5 Hats.

Innkeepers

 Directed by Ti West   This one was a bit different. So much so, I am not so intrigued. 1.0 Hats

Red Lights
Directed by Rodrigo Cortes   A  hidden beauty. Sigourney Weaver, Robert De Niro. Two power houses. Nice camera angles for this one. It shows the director was a fan of his genre. A lot of Hitchcock "looks" to this movie. I truly enjoyed it. 3.0 Hats

Man of Tai Chi 

Directed by Keanu Reeves
 You know why I watched! Yep...Keanu. That's all there is to say about that. Great action scenes. For his first "Director" role, this was not bad. I hope he tries another. The movie is not one I would normally have chosen. This is not in my genre of choice...3.0 Hats

The Skeleton Key
Directed by Iain Softly   Another twisted Love Story.  This one is a psychological thriller. Once I started watching, I realized I had seen the movie prior and forgotten. Good thing I keep a record now ;-D I am not a huge fan of Kate Hudson; however, she did well with this one. 3.0 Hats

Beneath the Darkness
Directed by Martin Guigui   I should know better than to watch anything with Dennis Quaid.  Never really cared for him much...Anyway...this is a piece of shit movie. Don't waste your time. .5 Hats.

House of Voices
Directed by Pascal Laugier   Many viewers of this type of film may be "turned off" by the art of imagination. At first, I felt I may not enjoy this film. As it progressed and my mind became a play toy with its own interpretations to what was happening, I became absorbed. How about a 3.5 Hats

~~~***~~~
April 2014

Could have sworn I watched a movie this month...

~~~***~~~
MARCH 2014

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum Directed by Richard Lester   Not sure how many times I have seen this one. It always makes me smile. If you have never experienced this movie...It's a must. I give it 4.5 Hats

My Life Without Me
Directed by Isabel Coixet This one was pretty intense.
A woman finds she has terminal cancer and chooses to live life without treatment or telling her family. Seeing Deborah Harry as the girls mom was very cool. 3.5 Hats

~~~***~~~
FEBRUARY 2014

Inception Directed by Christopher Nolan   This was my second time to watch this movie. It is quite interesting to think of a dream within a dream. Really, isn't this world a dream? I like this one. I have to provide 3.5 Hats

28 Days Later
Directed by Danny Boyle   A typical end of the world scenario. I think it is worth an end of the day movie entertainment, I'd have to give a 2.5 Hats

~~~***~~~
JANUARY 2014
Source Code Directed by Duncan Jones   Very interesting movie. I found the visual cues quite mesmerizing. Now, we watched this on a commercial channel and I am sure much was cut for television.  It really makes me want to see it again uninterrupted.  Oh...and...The very last scene was cut off due to a channel change. Being this makes me want to watch it, I'd have to give a 3.5 Hats score.

47 Ronin
Directed by Carl Rinsch   First off, I swear I watched a movie in December of 2013. That is weird that I failed to view one motion picture! I will try to make this year more of a movie year... Next, started 2014 out right with a big screen viewing of 47 Ronin. Great flick. I even cried in areas. It was a must see due to the Keanu Reeves role. I just can't get enough of this guy. There is plenty of action and suspense to keep you  entertained throughout the whole show ;-D...I'll give this one 4.5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
November 2013

Jennifer Eight Directed by Bruce Robinson   I swear I posted this review and lo and behold, it is nowhere. I love Andy Garcia, and he is fabulous in the movie. For you Uma Thurman fans, she's the leading lady. The story is of a murder case and the hunt to find the killer. In the midst of it all, the cop falls in love with the victim. Same tale told a thousand times. As a person who sees edit errors, body movement errors in cuts and all that stuff, this one had a LOT. There were scenes with snow, that switched to no snow or rain. Very disturbing to me. My husband found no faults...I'll give this one 2 Hats (for Andy Garcia).

The Boxer
Directed by Jim Sheridan   A tale of the Catholics and Protestants as seen through a boxer who was imprisoned for involvement in the I.R.A. In the midst of it all is a live story for relations, country, and self...I'll give this one 3 Hats.

Two Mules for Sister Sara
Directed by Don Siegel   This is a 1970 movie that I have watched several times. It is a great go to for a fun, action movie. I love Clint Eastwood pairing up with Shirley MacLaine. It seemed natural...I'll give this one 5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
OCTOBER 2013

Babbette's Feast Directed by Gabriel Axel   This is a 1986 release of a tale told of survival, family, friends, and life. It is a French film (I believe) and this last time, I watched with subtitles. In fact, this is one of those I have watched several times. Usually without subtitles. I try to understand by body language alone. Very good movie. It is a must for enthusiasts. Please give this one a whirl....I'll give this one 5 Hats.

Rear Window
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock   Another one of those repeaters for me. A classic in the Hitchcock Genre. I love this story. James Stewart plays an awesome part. You all know this story...I'll give this one 5 Hats.

Vertigo
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock   As always, an enjoyable movie. This is one that never gets dull. I love seeing the old San Fransisco streets. This is just an all time favorite. I'll probably be watching a few from this era for the next few months...I'll give this one 5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
SEPTEMBER 2013

Erased
 Directed by Philip Stolzl   Enjoyed this action packed thriller. It seems a father and daughter become closer after a few days of eluding captives. One of those Netflix shows. Am trying it out...I'll give this one 2.5 Hats.

House at the End of the Street
Directed by Mark Tonderai   This one was  better than I thought. It would, in my opinion, be considered a teen bopper movie.  A twist of fate brings people together to discover a gruesome ending.  I'll give this one 2.5 Hats.

Occupant
Directed by Henry Miller   Interesting tale of what happens when a person is left to his own "self" within a room which may, or may not be possessed with demons. Interesting ending.  I'll give this one 2.5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
AUGUST 2013

Ghost Ship Directed by Steve Beck   This was one I had watched once before.  It was interesting to see it again and look for new things I had missed before. If you are like me (many are not), I look at the props and costumes before looking at actors.  This makes watching movies multiple times "doable".  I'll give this one 2.5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
JULY 2013

The Conjuring Directed by James Wan   Saw this one on the big screen. I think it would be the only way to see it...Unless you had the ultimate surround sound. Great angles of shots creating lines and shadows. 3.5 Hats

Tormented (Rabbit Horror 3D)
Directed by Takashi Shimizu   This japanese thriller was very well done. Even with subtitles, I was caught up in the tale. Stay tuned for the ending has a twist that I was not expecting. 4.5 Hats

A Haunting at Silver Falls
Directed by Brett Donowho   One of those lower grade thrillers. It sucks when you know "who done it" within the first five minutes. The good thing was I did not know how it was done. 2.5 Hats

The Princess Bride
Directed by Rob Reiner   This is one of those movie I have watched many times.  Just watched it today with the hubby. His first viewing. This move never lets me down. In fact, I even heard a few lines I have missed the last few times viewing. This movie has been played in my home many, many times. Never a dull moment! I give 5 Hats ;-D

~~~***~~~
JUNE 2013

In Darkness Directed by Agnieszka Holland   This was based on a true story of the survival of a Jewish group who lived within the sewers. It is pretty historical and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it being in another language and I had to read the subtitles. A good movie to watch on a slow weekend. 4 Hats.

Primal Fear
Directed by
Gregory Hoblit
This movie definitely shows Edward Norton at his finast. I am not a Richard Gere fan; however, he too did well.  I would say this is a great 1996 movie. 3.5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
MAY 2013

Persepolis Directed by Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi   I watched this one in its native language without Closed Captioning. It still has an impact. What a way to intertwine history into a story. I was very impressed with the artwork and animation. This is definitely worth a wath...Even without the translation! I give 5 Hats.

Identity
Directed by James Mangold   This is another one to see twice. Had forgotten all about it. A pretty cool thriller that has a twist. It's a must see. This one goes deep into the psyche of your mind. Once you realize what is happening, it all falls together...4 Hats.

Memento
  
Directed by Christopher Nolan   This was the second time I watched this one. Very interesting tale of a man who has lost short term memory. One of those movies with no music in the background. Always enjoy that. Having no sound is  a tough thing these days to pull off. I'll give it 3.5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
APRIL 2013

WHAT?! No MOVIES AGAIN?! I actually watched a couple TV series that were good: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1st Season) Justified (1st and 2nd Season)

~~~***~~~
MARCH 2013

The Croods (3D) Directed by Chris Sanders   What a hoot. I enjoyed watching this one. I had laughs and even cried in this animated adventure.  There was thought process in the creation of the characters. Great artwork and wonderful colors. If you have children...and if you do not...It is worth a view on the big screen...5 Hats.

Oz the Great and Powerful (3D)
Directed by Sam Raimi   This one was based on the book...The pre-sequel to Wizard of Oz. It has inspired me to actually read the book! Yes. I am one of the few who have not. The graphics were pretty cool to see in 3D. I was mesmerized in a few scenes. There were places I felt the acting could have been better "but" who am I to judge...3 Hats.

~~~***~~~
FEBRUARY 2013

WHAT?! No MOVIES?! Best make up for that this next month...

~~~***~~~
JANUARY 2013

Paranormal Activity 4 Directed by Henry Joost & Ariel Shulman   Very different. Was not what I expected. As you can see from the list of movies...I like thrillers. This one was set up very similar to the Blair Witch Projects. I found the film work a bit fascinating. Still would not place it in my top list of re-watch...Removed quickly from the Nook...3 Hats.

Blade Runner
Directed by Ridley Scott   I could have sworn that I had another Ridley Scott movie on here. Maybe I am just missing it. Well. I was not al that impressed. I did like that the movie was made without the music background always playing. This helps me to become part of the film. I have to say that I watched thirty-two minute version of this which I thought was more fascinating (see here : http://youtu.be/BJli2wJTupg)! I have quickly removed this one from my Nook...2.5 Hats.

The Cabin in the Woods
Directed by Drew Goddard   I was given a horrible copy of this movie. It was from a store and I will be returning it. This was a pirate version! I watched it still though in awe. Was impressed with the movie. Sad part is that I never got to see the very end. I was "oh so close" and then the movie abruptly ended. I'll definitely find a clean version...3.5 Hats. UPDATE: A clean copy makes a world of difference! If you are in to ghouls and ghosts, or even the "who done it" genre. Watch this one!

~~~***~~~
DECEMBER 2012

Monsters, Inc. Directed by Pete Docter & David Silverman   This one I actually went to the theater for! The craftsmanship and art is delightful. The hair moved with ease. It was amazing. I was a bit uncomfortable with all the symbolism slammed right in your face. Those of you who follow that stuff understand what I am saying. All in all, it was a great tale and a fun movie...3.5 Hats.

Elf
Directed by Jon Favreau   A friend said this was a hilarious movie. Yes, there were some very funny parts to the story. I even laughed aloud. Maybe not on my favorites list for holiday movies. Great cast of actors though! This one is a hit with the younger generation, for us old farts...2.5 Hats.

Edward Sissorhands
Directed by Tim Burton   What can you say about the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp combo?! I don't think I've ever seen a movie that I did not like of Burton's. Johnny Depp is awesome as always  I was happy to go back some years and hear him speak instead of that mumbling pirate crap! OK. So, this was not my first time to see the movie and I fell asleep in the middle. It's still worth the watch. I love the colors and symbolism in this one...4 Hats.

~~~***~~~
NOVEMBER 2012

Lonely are the Brave Directed by David Miller   What a great movie. This 1962 classic is a must see. Kirk Douglas and Walter Matthau show why they are great actors. There are also glimpses of many other greats! I really liked this one folks. A true Hollywood movie...5 Hats.

Catch.44
Directed by Aaron Harvey   Whoa. That's the one word I would use. Of course, Forest Whitaker is  awesome in this. I was mesmerized from the very beginning. Now, if you are not a person who likes violence and bloodshed, this may not be for you. Even Bruce Willis had a good part!...3.5 Hats.

Two if by Sea
Directed by Bill Bennett   A typical 1996 film starring Sandra Bullock and Denis Leary. There were parts that made me laugh hard. I am glad that I watched and even happier I did not pay! There was great scenery and this is where most points come in...That and the humor...2.5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
OCTOBER 2012

District 9 Directed by Neill Blomkamp   Gotta be honest here. Tried watching this movie many times and kept falling asleep the first ten minutes. Finally made it past that point. It actually turned out to be a pretty good storyline; one used many times. This one just brought a twist to it...3.5 Hats.

Ratatouille
Directed by Brad Bird & Jan Pinkava   Very well made computer animated movie. Having created a scene or two using multiple media, I can appreciate the hours put into this move. This is a funny tale and a must see...5 Hats.

Halloween
Directed by John Carpenter   This one is in the top ten list of scary movies to watch. Guess who fell asleep while viewing?! What I did see, I could justify why they placed this in the list; just not scary enough for this gal...3 Hats (for the music and the Queen of Scream).

Other Voices
Directed by Dan McCormack   A tale that takes communication, friendship and relationship on a twisted path. Very interesting story. Watched this one during an insomnia evening. Found it FREE on Hulu.....4 Hats.

V is for Vendetta
Directed by James McTeguie   I was more impressed with this one than I thought I'd be. This seemed perfect to watch during this time in our world. Loved the quote "People should not be afraid of the Government. Government should be afraid of the people".....4 Hats.

The Hunger Games
Directed by Gary Ross   My son had read this series of tales and was looking forward to the movie. For him, it was a bit of a disappointment  for me, not having read the books, it was "entertaining". Not something I will watch repeatedly. What I did enjoy was the costume and make-up. There was a talented person on the set working!.....3 Hats.

~~~***~~~
SEPTEMBER 2012

The Tall Man
Directed by Pascal Laugier   This was a suspense thriller all the way. Just when you think you have it figured out, it throws a turn in your face! I really enjoyed this one. I believe you wil too....4 Hats.

The Usual Suspects

Directed by Brian Singer   A tale of thieves. murderers and their last moments together. I'm not a hue Baldwin fan so was very happy when they killed his character. Wish it would have happened sooner! Was happy I watched the movie. Was just not what I expected....2 Hats.

Permanent Record
Directed by Marisa Silver   Can honestly say that I only watched this because of Keanu Reeves. This is definitely one of those 80's flicks that maybe should have stayed on paper. There were some nice shots of the ocean...and then there's Keanu....1.5 Hats.

Love Actually
Directed by Richard Curtis 
This was my second time to see this movie. Very well done. The title makes you think of a sappy love story...Not the case. This one came recommended by a wonderful lady from Scotland. Thanks Ruby. While watching, take a look for Professor Snape....5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
AUGUST 2012

Henry's Crime Directed by Malcolm Venville   I was very impressed with this movie. No. Not just because of Keanu Reeves. Yes. I'm a H U G E fan ;-D It was just a great movie. Slow to start; yet, was needed. I'll probably watch this one again. It's worth it folks...5 Hats. Mr Brooks Directed by Bruce A Evans Very Wild. I think this could become my favorite Kevin Costner movie. It grabbed me right from the beginning. This is a must see for those who enjoy psychological thrillers...5 Hats.

Reservoir Dogs
Directed by Quentin Tarantino   It's Quentin Tarantino...What more can I say. Violence, blood and just weird shit. I like that he makes movies with little audio mixed in. The scenes are quiet and make you feel as a voyeur looking into someone's world. You have to be in that right mood to watch...4 Hats.

Leon the Professional
Directed by Luc Besson   This was a dark movie with real life humor. A bit disturbing in areas. For myself, it was a late night watch just before bed. I enjoyed to the end...3.5 Hats.

Black Swan
Directed by Darren Aronofsky   Very psychological movie. At points, I thought I knew exactly what was going on...at others, I questioned my judgement. I would say this one is worth the watch...3 Hats.

~~~***~~~
JULY 2012

Dark Shadows Directed by Tim Burton
 Typical Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie. I am happy that I watched; but, not as thrilled with the overall movie. There was something missing. Something lacking. Having been a child in the 70s and knowing Dark Shadows from experience, I was excited to see this movie. The music is FANTASTIC. I'll be getting the soundtrack...3.5 Hats

Point Break
Directed by Kathryn Bigelow
 Not the best of movies. Some of the acting has something to be desired. Even with that being said, I still can't help watching Keanu. He has natural beauty. If you like action, this is not too bad. Great surf shots!...1.5 Hats for Keanu.

MIB 3
Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld
 I have enjoyed every one of these movies in this series. This one did not disappoint. I am very happy to have seen this and will say it is worth it...5 Hats.


Mystic River Directed by Clint Eastwood
 What a sad movie. This one pulls at the heart and makes one think about what they see and what is real. It was my second time to watch this and will probably watch it again...5 Hats.

Blazing Saddles
Directed by Mel Brooks
 What a hoot. One of those that you watch over and over and over. Long live Madeline Kahn...5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
JUNE 2012

Sherlock Holmes Directed by Guy Ritchie
 A new flavor to an old favorite. This was my second time to watch this flick. Good action and nice costume design. Worth the watch...3.5 Hats.

  Hitch Directed by Andy Tennant
 A typical Will Smith movie. Funny and action packed. It has a total "Comic" feel to it. Not one I would "purchase" per se'; however, am happy I watched it...2.5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
MAY 2012

The Milagro Beanfield War Directed by Robert Redford I
 cannot say how many times I have watched this movie. It never bores me. It was created in 1988 and tells a story of a resort being developed in a small farming town, population 426. The classic small man against the large corporation. It's an all around feel good movie. Worth a watch...5 Hats.

  Spider-Man 3
Directed by Sam Raimi   Spiderman was my hero of the comic era. When the first came to the big screen, I jumped at the chance to see it. Then I made the theater on Spiderman 2. By the time this one came out, the hubby was suffering and I needed to stay home. Was so happy to see it on Television this weekend! Had a few really stupid parts in there which could have been left of the editors floor. ...3 Hats. Looking forward to number 4!

  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Directed by Chris Columbus   This is about my fifth time to watch this movie. I think it is very impressive for what it is. The trials and tribulations of being a young person and learning what you are capable of is always inspiring. I'd say it is worth a view...5 Hats.

~~~***~~~
APRIL 2012

Dream House
Directed by Jim Sheridan   Very interesting twist to the movie. It kept my interest. Watched this when stuck in bed for illness. I'd say it is worth a view...2 Hats.

  Safe House
Directed by Daniel Espinosa   Action packed thriller. For me, it was easy to find the "who done it". That makes me take away a hat. I like it when I can't figure that out. Lots of shooting and fighting. Good guy wins in end...sorta...Was watched during a down episode in bed so my judgement may be blurred...2 Hats

  The Conspiracy
Directed by Robert Redford   Historic view of the injustice the Government can unfold upon the legal system. There were bits of acting that could have been better. All in all, I enjoyed this journey through history...3 Hats

  Hot Fuzz
Directed by Edgar Wright   I love British Comedy and this one did not let me down. The movie was filled with action, mystery and laughs....4 Hats

~~~***~~~
MARCH 2012

Demons Never Die
Directed by Arjun Rose   So...Ten minutes into the movie...I was asleep...0.5 Hats for the catchy Title

~~~***~~~
FEBRUARY 2012

Woman in Black
Directed by James Watkins   So, my sister and I ventured to the theater to see this one. Great choice. I really enjoyed the movie. There were many parts in the movie I could have bashed from poor edits. This is something I try to remain clam about...Just one of my things. The movie made me jump in several places and giggle in others. Was interesting to see Daniel Radcliffe play in a different role...3.5 Hats

~~~***~~~
JANUARY 2012

Zombieland Directed by Ruben Fleischer
 This was a very funny movie! At first I thought it would just be a stupid slasher film...Surprise! I started laughing within the first eight minutes.  This movie, to me, would fall under a slasher/comedy. Great scenes, funny lines and good soundtrack. Probably not a movie I would have paid to see on the big screen; nor would I have rented it myself. Just happened to have my son over and he brought a couple "zombie" movies.  I'm happy I watched it. Worth it...4.5 Hats

  Priest
Directed by Scott Charles Stewart   You'll come to find out that I lean toward the thriller/suspense types of movies...This one was one I have wanted to see since it came out in 2011. Glad I did not "pay for it". Satellite is providing some free movie channels and this one was on. I enjoyed the make-up artists renditions of the vampire creatures. Acting was not all that good. They left the end open to a sequel...1.5 Hats

  Fled
Directed by Kevin Hooks   What a piece of crap movie. I watched out of respect for Laurence Fishburne and Salma Hayek. I should have known that with a Baldwin in the supporting role, it would suck. Don't bother...0 Hats

  Men Who Stare at Goats
Directed by Grant Heslov   This is not one I would have chosen myself to view; however, am glad I sat through it. There were serious topics discussed in a comical manner. I found myself laughing quite often and would have to say this movie is worth it...3 Hats

No comments:

Post a Comment